Rustic facades reveal a secret enclave. A blank canvas melts busy minds and stirs creative hearts. Curtains dance in perfumed country air, spilling over terracotta floors. Afternoon sun paints rolling hills gold and stains white-washed walls. Every day magic seeps under skin. A summer stay stretches into infinite seasons.
“And find the place where every single thing you see tells you to stay.” – Unknown
Tucked away in the rolling Byron Bay Hinterland, lies one of the area’s most hidden gems. Located hillside in the quaint town of Newrybar, encased by a quietly unassuming facade, is a design-infused haven that completely reimagines the concept of a guest house.
Both a local escape we retreat to for moments of indulgence and a location we accommodate creatives in town for our shoots – there’s not a single guest who hasn’t called us as soon as they opened the front doors, shocked by the most unexpected beauty that lies inside Le Viti.
From the entrance, heavy rustic doors hint at the property’s past life and open up to the most deceivingly lavish space impossibly tucked behind. Inside is a collision of bold proportions and quiet simplicity – a sprawling white-washed interior framed by towering ceilings, a dramatic arched doorway that opens to a grand master bedroom, a sculptural concrete bath in front of floor to ceiling glass overlooking a sun-drenched countryside. Designed with artful curiosity and effortless ease, every inch of the space is carefully layered with decor that both boldly impacts and blends organically into the surroundings.
A fusion of Australian and Italian architecture – Le Viti is equal parts tranquillising and wildly intoxicating for creative hearts. It’s a space that begs you to unwind but stirs you to dream, spinning your mind into creative possibilities. The way this space refuses to be confined by its scale, has you rethinking the design of your own home. Though there are lounges to spend languid afternoons on, soft throws to melt into and dreamy books to escape with – every beautifully designed nook, handcrafted terracotta tile and artful niche has other plans for your time here. Before you know it you’re reimagining your own space, dreaming up renovation ideas, plotting ways to make a home in the hinterland your own reality, or figuring out if you could convince the owner to just let you rent here long term.
There’s something about the way this space has been designed, the feelings it conjures, the way it shifts your perspective and has you craving permanence in a place you didn’t know you longed for. It’s home, like you’ve never felt before.
“Though there are lounges to spend languid afternoons on, soft throws to melt into and dreamy books to escape with – every beautifully designed nook, handcrafted terracotta tile and artful niche has other plans for your time here.”
A Design Enclave
Spilling with a magic that hits you from the moment you open Le Viti’s doors, every element is beautifully unexpected. The cleverly designed property is deceivingly modest from the exterior, opening up to a sprawling white-washed space in bold proportions that fuses Italian and Australian architecture.
The Bathroom of our Dreams
The main bathroom is one of the most magic parts of the space – an interior design haven layered in earthen palettes of terracotta herringbone tiles, aged stone vases and ochre linen. Unwind in a handcrafted concrete bath, in front of a floor to ceiling glass window where you can drink in the countryside vista.
The Grand Master Bedroom
Framed by dramatic arched doors, an unexpectedly grand master bedroom spills with dappled morning light and is painted gold in decadent afternoon sun. It’s the perfect haven to retreat to in the dreamiest oversized armchair you’ve ever seen (and will have a hard time prying yourself from).
The Quaint Town of Newrybar
Stroll down to the quaint town of Newrybar for coffee and artistan baked goods at Harvest Deli, shop for carefully curated homewares filled with wares created by local artists, spend the day in Byron Bay and return for farm to table dinner and wine at Harvest Restaurant. This quaint town is tucked away in the hinterland where you can experience the magic of the region on the outskirts and dip in and out of the buzzing town of Byron, or laze on its beaches just 20 minutes away.
The Weekend Itinerary
- Stock up on artisan cheeses from Harvest Deli just down the road (or pre-order a hamper), a bottle of red and watch the sunset on the Le Viti Barn deck in front of an ancient fig tree.
- Wake up for coffee and pastries at Harvest Deli or served from the old bakery on the weekends and sit in the property’s gardens. Or head a few minutes down the road to Bangalow for breakfast at Woods.
- Shop for homewares at Newrybar Merchants and then the most beautiful curation of homewares and boutique fashion labels at Island Luxe in Bangalow.
- Head into Byron to one of the areas dreamy beaches for the day (Belongil, Clarkes, The Pass, Wategos…)
- Shop in the Byron Industrial area (Yoli & Otis, St. Agni, Del Rainbow, Tigmi Trading) and maybe book a facial at The Little Co. and / or massage at Comma while you’re there (you’ll need to book way in advance, as last minute is almost never an option).
- Head to Ciao Mate in Bangalow for woodfire pizza and casual Italian in a sweet little restaurant or book a farm-to-table dinner at Harvest Restaurant (and if you don’t book in advance, afternoon drinks and tapas on the deck out the front is perfect too).
Bridesmaids & Wedding Guests
Find our handpicked edit of Ready-to-Wear brands for Bridesmaids and Weddings Guests on the Directory.