Fashion — Engagement Rings & Jewelry
UK Engagement Ring Shopping Guide
An edit of UK Engagement Rings – a spirited fusion of contemporary innovation and traditional techniques, guided by an appreciation for heritage and high-quality craftsmanship.
With ancient and storied landscapes sweeping across vast coastlines, the United Kingdom spills with a deep history. The new and old guards of British Jewelry draw from this rich heritage, without letting themselves be defined by it. Categorized by a sense of curiosity and innovation, jewelers craft with unpredictability, playing on dualities of tradition and the contemporary. Preserving handcrafted traditions, heirlooms of the highest quality are made to stand the test of time. Eclectic but timeless. Pieces to be treasured for a lifetime and beyond.
Explore our handpicked selection of UK fine jewelers, reimagining British Design as we know it.
In a poetic collision of old world and new, Jessica McCormack creates future heirlooms for modern couples. An iconic brand adorned by royalty and designed for clients which include Victoria Beckham and Rosie Huntington-Whitely, Jessica McCormack dreams up exquisite jewels that transcend time or trend. Fusing traditional settings with opulently mixed metals or unexpected blackened gold finishes, each piece blends centuries-old craftsmanship with artful modernity.
Step inside Jessica McCormack’s lofty Mayfair townhouse and you enter a world shaped by the soul of this iconic brand. A fusion of art, architecture and design, this beautifully unexpected space reimagines the engagement ring shopping experience. Evocative of a modern art gallery, opulent jewels are artfully displayed on hand-carved plinths, surrounded by contemporary art. Couples can relax and experience the collections via silk draped lounges, an open fireplace and secret garden vistas with the ambience of a self-playing piano.
One-on-one consultations can take place in Jessica’s grand library, personally curated and overflowing with antiquated books and curiosities from far-reaching ends of the earth, stirring inspiration for every bespoke story. Artisans meticulously handcraft each piece in-house with enduring techniques from bygone eras. Stretching far beyond the concept of a jewelry boutique Jessica McCormack has created a transportive space that invites couples to dream and reimagine engagement rings as art, deeply infused with story and sentiment.
- Radiant Diamonds / Decadent diamonds are rigorously selected by an in-house diamantaire. Ingeniously reviving traditional techniques like the button-back setting artfully enhances the sparkle in each diamond, through increased light refraction.
- A 5-story Mayfair Townhouse / Walk-ins and bookings are welcome at Jessica McCormack’s 7 Carlos Place house comprising the shop, studio and workspace, spilling with rare antiquities and works of art. Filled with contemporary art, the light-filled residence is more akin to an emporium of wonders, even home to a secret garden making the most perfect natural light setting to view diamonds.
- Jewels Spilling with Soul / Delve into a collection of jewelry infused with history, inspired by Jessica McCormack’s out-of-the-ordinary upbringing exploring rare antiquities collected by her auctioneer father in her native New Zealand. Woven with nostalgia, each piece has a story to tell.
Boutique Photography: Olivia & Dan for The Lane.
Spilling with modernistic precision, Shivani Chorwadia’s pieces are striking fine jewels that transcend trends. A beautiful juxtaposition of minimalism and decadence, Shivani Chorwadia fuses the richness of her British Indian bi-cultural heritage with her modern aesthetic. Sharp-cut stones star as boldly alluring centrepieces and brushed gold finishes add an artisanal edge, celebrating the beauty of handcraftsmanship.
A brand for lovers of art and architecture, Shivani Chorwadia’s engagement rings are boldly geometric and beautifully structured, each piece spilling with an unexpected magic.
- Sustainability at Heart / Made by hand, each piece is made with ethical integrity using the finest materials and metals. The brand uses only recycled gold and silver in combination with ethically mined diamonds and carefully sources precious gemstones from small businesses.
- Independent Design / Shivani Chorwadia is an entrepreneur leading a small business where sustainability and ethical practices are at the foundation of her design process.
- Bespoke Services / For those who aren’t able to dream up a design with Shivani Chorwadia in person, custom designs are available to couples digitally.
A fusion of Art Deco inspired forms with contemporary gemstone cuts and colors, Rachel Boston creates effortlessly iconic engagement jewels. Entwining ornamental stones with bold, geometric lines, each piece is a deeply inspired reinterpretation of traditional bridal jewelry. Unmoved by commercial trends, Rachel Boston jewels spill with soul and unexpectedly blend rough and refined diamonds. Otherworldly grey diamonds and vibrant colored gemstones move through a myriad of unconventional shapes – kite, shield and hexagonal cut stones. A label for those looking for the perfect balance of artful edge and enduring elegance.
Each Rachel Boston engagement ring is handcrafted in London by a team of artisans using a blend of modern and classical techniques. The beautifully designed showroom displays pieces you can take home immediately, or bespoke appointments are available in-house or digitally.
- Rare Precious Stones / All of Rachel Boston’s gemstones are sourced ethically from a trusted network of prestigious global suppliers in a range of curious cuts and colors. Only the most exquisite gems are nestled into their artful arrangements.
- Colored Gemstones / Rachel Boston is renowned for her array of rainbow stones – sapphires in yellow and pink and intriguing diamonds in hues of brown, grey, pink and orange.
- Master Gemologists / Rachel Boston honed her technical eye for gemological nuances in her diploma of Diamond Grading at the Gemological Institute of America in New York, after graduating in Jewellery Design from Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design.
Tomasz Donocik’s collection of mosaic-like jewels are a collision of raw artistry with master craftsmanship. Trained as a goldsmith, Tomasz alchemizes indelible gemstones and molten metals into arrangements evocative of constellations. A hypnotic collection for the celestial-inspired, Tomasz Donocik is our go-to for sleek clusters of gemstones and diamonds, sparkling with a dark opulence.
Drawing far outside the lines of traditional, the brand’s contemporary pieces reimagine all that traditional bridal jewelry entails. Subverting traditionally cut stones, Tomasz Donocik’s creations are for those seeking truly modernistic heirlooms.
Private consultations for custom creations are available with Tomasz Donocik in his London studio, to then be crafted under his direction by a team of highly skilled artisans.
- Sculptural Intrigue / Inspired by iconic architectural lines of New York City, Tomasz Donocik’s pieces are sharply carved into unconventional shapes where diverse cuts of diamonds effortlessly interlock like puzzle pieces, to form cosmically geometric silhouettes.
- Artisanal Individuality / Tomasz Donocik’s pieces are informed by his love for abstract expressionism, film and literature, to create lasting pieces with artistic integrity.
- Prestigious Jewel-Smithing / A highly renowned jeweler, designing for luxury house LVMH and recognized with awards such as the 2017 Gold Award for Precious Jewellery at the Goldsmith’s Craft & Design Council Awards in London.
A collection of mercurial jewels in undulating shapes, Ruth Tomlinson creates artful engagement rings for those romanced by unconventional beauty. Evocative of the earth’s natural treasures, her designs are marked by intricate granules and celebrate unexpectedly raw and imperfect finishes. Each Ruth Tomlinson piece is steeped in ethereal beauty, evocative of bygone eras. Exquisite clusters of precious gemstones and diamonds, raw or refined, are encrusted into irregular formations as if carved by nature.
Ruth Tomlinson welcomes visitors by appointment only at their Atelier in London’s historic jewelry quarter Hatton Garden, for bespoke appointments and try-ons.
- Ethical Practices / Ruth Tomlinson is committed to using 100% recycled gold in every single piece and working with local suppliers in walking distance of their London atelier to minimize their environmental footprint. The brand sources antique diamonds from historical jewelers or refined diamonds from Kimberley Process certified suppliers.
- Unconventional Beauty / The minute granular detailing sprinkled across Ruth Tomlinson’s bands add a molten-like textural element to her organically sculpted creations.
- Curious Clusters / Mismatched cuts of diamonds and colored gemstones are intertwined with raw stones, mimicking the beauty of mother nature. Textured and imperfect settings are unflinching in the face of commercial notions of beauty.
The pioneers of perfect diamonds, De Beers Jewellers are renowned for hand-selecting the rarest natural diamonds in search of the perfect lustre since 1888. A brand for the classicists at heart, De Beers engagement rings spill with elegance and refinement.
Carefully cut by their team of experts to amplify the individual beauty of each stone, De Beers shape and sculpt their jewels around the beauty of each natural diamond to magnify radiance, using traditional techniques of hand craftsmanship. Fusing lightness and femininity, each De Beers piece artfully enmeshes the most intricate of settings with the rarest of diamonds.
- Bettering the Diamond Trade / De Beers Jewellers is committed to setting the highest standard of health, safety, labor, and environmental practices in the industry. Diamonds are responsibly sourced to have minimal impact on the environment, through their traceable Diamond Route, protecting the biodiversity of several nature reserves.
- Natural Diamond Perfection / With over 130 years of diamond expertise, De Beers Jewellers are masters at identifying diamonds that radiate with brilliance, with a keen eye for the most desirable facets, angles and cuts. Only diamonds of unmatched and exceptional quality are set in their pieces, with less than 1% of the world’s diamond supply eligible for selection by De Beers.
- Timeless Design / Master jewelers infuse every piece with a sense of well-balanced beauty, elegantly handcrafting sleek bands with classical stone cuts or settings.
Taylor & Hart
Deeply moved by the couples they design for, Taylor & Hart craft jewelry to poetically embody your story. A co-creation experience like no other, Taylor & Hart acts as a conduit to weave their client’s dream pieces to life, placing them at the heart of the bespoke process.
Inimitable detail is imminent in every bespoke creation, with diamonds held by twisted bands of gold that curl into each other in the most unexpected of ways. Guided by the client’s creativity and inspiration, Taylor & Hart’s jewelry experts use a blend of state-of-the-art 3D printing technology with hand-finished techniques to mould unexpected ideas into being. Unbound by rules, there is a magical sense of possibility in their co-creation process.
We love Taylor & Hart’s blend of innovative technology with old fashioned values that lie at the heart of their in-person service. To guide you through the design process, complimentary consultations are available both digitally and at their London showroom.
- Jewelry Spilling with Sentiment / Couples have the opportunity to set the inside of their band with Taylor & Hart’s signature ruby or a gemstone of their choosing. Imbued with personal meaning, your hidden stone can pay tribute to your partner’s favorite color or birthstone.
- Customized Creations / Taylor & Hart’s clients have full freedom to conceptualize their absolute dream piece, guided by a team of jewelry consultants with the expertise to realize it.
- Ethically Sourced Stones / Taylor & Hart’s jewelry designers work closely with a selective network of diamond and gemstone suppliers to source conflict-free stones, that have had minimal impact on the environment.
Sophia Perez Jewellery
Combining forces under Sophia Perez Jewellery, sibling duo Sophia and Daniel Perez craft boldly unexpected heirlooms for the modern woman. A celebration of the raw beauty that lies in imperfect diamonds and unconventional cuts, Salt & Pepper Diamonds shine as intriguing centrepieces, nuanced with striking inclusions. Trilogy and muli-stone rings are contemporized with shield or kite cut stones, with each piece informed by the values of the modern women who wear their jewels every day.
With a contemporary mindset and exceptional craftsmanship, Sophia Perez pieces are carefully conceptualized to embody approachable luxury, made to last. Renowned for their ability to draw outside the lines of traditional, it’s a brand that breathes new life into stones once considered imperfect.
- Salt & Pepper Diamonds / Salt & Pepper Diamonds are a signature of the brand, with each ring celebrating the uniquely formed inclusions in each flecked diamond. They are less taxing on the earth than ‘perfect’ diamonds.
- Bespoke Pieces / Sophia Perez Jewellery offers a bespoke process with both consultations and video calls available for those further afield.
- Environmentally Conscious / Only recycled metal or fairtrade gold are used, ensuring all scrap metal is recycled throughout the jewelry making process. Sophia Perez Jewellery offers lab-grown diamonds which are conflict-free and have no impact on the earth. All of the brand’s natural diamonds are sourced through a small network of trusted suppliers and are GIA certified, with Canadamark diamonds also available on request.
Find our handpicked edit of Fine Jewelry brands from around the world on the Directory.